Oil pulling is a classic Ayurveda procedure of either holding or swishing oils in the mouth. It comes under the category of “SNEHANAM” – the oleation therapy. Snehanam includes the Ayurveda procedures which help to bring out oiliness and softness to the body and imparts moisturizing effects.
The medications used for snehana procedure includes thaila (seed oil), gritha (ghee from milk), vasa (muscle fat) and majja (bone marrow).
The oil pulling comes under the category of “bahya snehanam” (external oleation therapy). It can be demonstrated in two ways.
- Gandoosha – Holding oil in the mouth
- Kavala Graham – Swishing oil in the mouth
The whole purpose of gandusha and kavala graham is to get rid of the toxins from the body and is usually practiced in the early morning in an empty stomach. This is the best method to promote your oral hygiene.
In the procedure of gandoosha, the medicated oil should be held for 5 to 20 minutes. Once the process of gandoosha is completed, it is spit out without swallowing. Then rinse your mouth with hot water thoroughly. It is claimed that while holding the oil for a long time, it extracts or draws out the toxins, impurities, and bacteria which is build up in the mouth.
According to the classic texts of Ayurveda, gandoosha can be classified into 4, on the basis of drug used and its therapeutic effect.
- Snigdha Gandoosha – Using sneha (oil) prepared using sweet, sour and salty drugs and is beneficial in vata diseases.
- Shamana Gandoosha – Prepared using bitter, astringent and sweet taste drugs and is very therapeutically effective in pitta.
- Shodhana Gandoosha – Prepared using tikta (bitter), pungent, sour and salt taste drugs and with drugs which have hot potency and is best used in kapha diseases.
- Ropana Gandoosha – Prepared using astringent and bitter taste drugs and this gandoosha helps in healing of ulcers.
In all of these preparation you can use of oils, milk, honey water etc accordingly to the condition of the patient. It is better to do gandoosha with lukewarm medicated oil.Gandoosha using different medication has different therapeutic effects. Let’s check some classic examples for gandoosha.
1. Sesame Oil
Loosening of teeth, pulpitis (inflammation of dental pulp, which causes a tingling sensation of teeth), all diseases of your mouth. It can be used either lukewarm or cold.
2. Ghee & Milk
Burning sensation of mouth, trauma, poisons, in burns caused by fire or alkali.
Honey is a mouth cleanser and it heals the ulcers of mouth. It also relieves the burning sensation and thirst.
4. Coconut Oil
The rich natural saturated fats of coconut oil promotes the heart health.
5. Cod Liver Oil
The omega fatty acids of cod liver oil have anti-inflammatory action.
6. Sunflower Oil
Antioxidant-rich sunflower oil extracts out all the oil dissolving toxins and impurities of the body.
7. Olive Oil
Olive is abundant in antioxidants.
The one practicing with oil pulling regularly will help a person to wash out his fat-soluble toxins from the body. Also, it helps to get rid of bacteria, virus, fungi and other microbes present in the mouth.
It is the same procedure just like gandoosha. But in kavala graham we swish the oil rather than just holding it as in gandoosha.
The Major Health Benefits of Oil Pulling
Below are top health benefits of oil pulling :-
- Destruction of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Improves your oral hygiene.
- Naturally reduces the inflammation.
- One of the best herbal home remedy for bad breath, tooth decay, and gum diseases.
- Dental cavities are well prevented.
- Gingivitis (inflammation and bleeding of gums) can be improved effectively.
- One of the best natural way to whiten your teeth.
- Fat soluble toxins (heavy metals, environmental toxins, parasites, preservatives) is extracted out.
- Helps in the detoxification process and it aids in hormonal changes.
- Heart diseases are well checked and it enhances your immune system.
- Soothes the dry throat and heals the cracked lips.
- Improves your skin hydration and reduces bloating.
Never confuse with gargling. Gandoosha and gargling are never the same.
Oil Pulling vs Chemical Mouthwash
The science of life, “Ayurveda” provides the mankind with one of the best technique to cleanse and detoxify your mouth. But today the world population is wandering around for the flavored mouthwashes. Mouthwash industry is flourishing with new colors and designs. But have you wondered how our ancestors had fresher and healthier than teeth than you? Yes. It’s the magic called oil pulling. Don’t fall for the advertisements of pearly white teeth by the chemical mouthwash. It will never do the same but regular oil pulling will provide you with white fresh teeth.
Do you Ever Wonder on the Fact that Regular use of Mouthwash can Trigger Hypertension?
Yes, it will. Presence of chemicals in mouthwash will destroy the good bacteria of the mouth, which may, in turn, cause hypertension. But oil pulling can selectively kill the bad bacteria preserving the good ones.
Moreover, the chemicals and preservatives of mouthwashes are much harmful to the human body. Get back to your nature. Live with Ayurveda. It is guaranteed that you will have a healthy life.
The post Oil Pulling – How to Do it, Health Benefits & Ayurveda View appeared first on SeeFitnessTips.com.